The knitted cast on is very useful, if you have to cast on a lot of stitches and it is also the simplest cast on I know. The knitted cast on is easier to do than the similar cable cast on and much, much easier than a long tail cast on. In fact, if you know how to knit, you can do this. So I decided to make a short tutorial about it:
1. Start by making a slipknot like pictured.
2. Slide the slipknot onto your left needle to form the first stitch.
3. Insert your right needle knitwise into this stitch and pull your working yarn through to create another stitch. Leave the first stitch on the left needle.
4. Slide this new stitch onto the left needle next to your first stitch.
5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for each new stitch you want to cast on. You see, the knitted cast on is just as easy as a knit stitch!